An Autonomous Institution under Govt. of NCT of Delhi and affiliated to University of Delhi, Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology is a seat of higher technical education in India. It was established in year 1983 as Delhi Institute of Technology with the objective to meet the growing demands of manpower in the emerging fields of engineering and technology with a close social and industrial interface. Over a period of time the Institute has carved a niche for itself, both nationally and internationally, for excellence in technical education and research.
Administrative autonomy was granted to the Institute in 1986. The Institute was registered as a Society in the name of "Delhi Institute of Technology" (DIT) on 12th June 1987 under the Societies Registration Act No. XXI of 1860 (Registration No. S-17742 of 1987). The Institute initiated Ph.D. programs in 1989. The Institute is affiliated to University of Delhi for all its UG, PG and Ph.D. programs.
From 1983 to till 1998, the Institute was operating from its old campus at old I.G. Block, Kashmere Gate, Delhi-110006. The Institute was formally inaugarated in its own new campus in Dwarka, New Delhi, 23rd January, 1997 by Sh. Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the former Prime Minister of India. The Institute was renamed as "Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology" (NSIT) in the year 1997 vide Gazette notification No. D.L. - 33002/97 dated 20.02.1997.
- To be a world class Institution through excellence in Technical Education, research and technology transfer.
- To promote Undergraduate and Postgraduate Education, Continuing Education, Training and Research in Engineering, Applied Sciences, Management Science, Humanities and Social Sciences with multi-level entry;
- To be an Institute of Co-operative Programs of Education with Industries and R&D Organizations for offering tailor-made Courses;
- To become a Research Institution with focus on “Technology Transfer”;
- To support a Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Park to nucleate the “Technology Transfer” programs.